Senate Bill 205: Business Licenses and NPDES Stormwater Discharge Compliance
About SB 205
In order to obtain or renew a business license in the state of California, SB 205 requires applicable businesses to enroll under the statewide stormwater Industrial General Permit, or IGP (Order 2014-0057-DWQ). This requirement came into effect January 1, 2020 and requires certain types of businesses to take the following actions:
- Evaluate each operating facility to determine the Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) code
- Determine if the SIC code is a regulated industrial activity under the IGP
- Obtain IGP coverage or submit a certified notice of non-applicability
The National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit program allows stormwater to discharge from a facility but establishes specific criteria and pollution prevention measures for different types of dischargers (i.e., business types). To comply with the IGP, each industrial business with a specific SIC code must complete a number of compliance activities including:
- Preparation and implementation of a site-specific Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP)
- Monthly visual observations
- Stormwater water quality sampling during Qualifying Storm Events (QSEs)
- Annual evaluations and reporting activities
Depending on water quality of the stormwater discharge, a business may also be responsible to implement additional actions to prevent or address stormwater pollution. New amendments going into effect July 1, 2020 will also require consideration of laboratory analytical methods, implementation requirements for total maximum daily loads (TMDLs), and compliance options related to on-site or regional stormwater capture and use.
How Rincon Can Help
Rincon has an experienced stormwater compliance team that is passionate about serving our local and state-wide business community. We understand that businesses have competing priorities, especially during these difficult times. To alleviate some of the pain, Rincon has developed a streamlined and cost-effective approach to addressing your stormwater compliance needs.
Please feel free to contact us for an initial assessment of how SB 205 may apply to your business. We would be glad to talk through the complexities of the IGP and how our team can support you and are ready to help with your regulatory compliance needs!